Former NC MEC John Block gets 15 years for corruption


Former Northern Cape Finance MEC John Block will spend 15 years behind bars for his role in a multi-million rand corruption scandal.

Block, who is also a former chairperson of the African National Congress in the province, was sentenced in the Northern Cape High Court along with Trifecta Holdings boss Christo Scholtz on Tuesday.

Last year, the pair were found guilty of corruption and money laundering relating to the inflation of leases for government buildings.

The National Prosecuting Authority’s (NPA) Phaladi Shuping says: “Mr John Block was sentenced to 15 years for corruption, and he also got 12 years for money laundering. The judge ordered the sentences to run concurrently.”

Shuping says the prosecution is pleased with the sentences.

“From the day that they were convicted, all we were asking for as the NPA was the minimum sentence as prescribed in the law – which is 15 years for corruption – and we are satisfied because we got exactly what we were looking for.”

Scholtz was sentenced to 15 years for corruption and 12 years money laundering and they will run concurrently.

Source: http://www.ewn.co.za

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s